[The images below were taken in the spring of 1999.]
Images from Capestrano, Abruzzo
Capestrano is an agricultural village at 43 km ESE of L'Aquila, in the upper valley of the Tirino river, situated on the southwestern edge of a vast karstic plateau between Navelli and the extreme south-eastern foothills of the Gran Sasso.
In medieval times records of the 9th century AD mention the place under the jurisdiction of the Monastery of San Pietro ad Oratorium. In the countryside in the 1950's a farmer found the famous statue of the Capestrano Warrior, dated to the 7th century BC. It was the home town of St. John of Capestrano, one of the leaders of the last Crusade.
Follow us on Facebook: