Le Castella, Isola Capo Rizzuto, Province of Crotone, Calabria, Italy
Situated on a rocky island as a defense and control point of the Capo Rizzuto Gulf, the fortress was originally built by the Angevins in the latter half of the 13th century, with the construction of the huge round tower.
In 1496 it was given by Federico of Aragona to Andrea Carafa, and for over 40 years it was a key strategic point in the defence of the Calabrese coasts. In 1536 it was attacked and plundered by Algerian pirate Khai-ad-din, nicknamed "Redbeard".
Follow us on Facebook: