Racconigi, Province of Cuneo, Piedmont, Italy
Situated 48km north of Cuneo and 40km south of Turin, along the right bank of the Maira stream, it rose around the imposing castle; it is a flourishing agricultural centre, with a remarkable silk worm market.
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 260 m a.s.l
- Population: about 10,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 12035
- Phone Area Code: 0172
- Patron Saint: St. Giovanni Battista, celebrated on the Monday following the third Sunday in September
- Frazioni & Localities: Canapile, Oia, Tagliata, Migliabruna,
- GPS Coordinates: 44°46'N, 7°41' E
- Official website of the Comune of Racconigi.
Originally under the marquisdom of Saluzzo, in the 15th century it became a fiefdom of prince Amadeus of Savoy-Acaya and, when the Acaya family became extinct, passed to Charles Emmanuel I, whose son Tomaso was the originator of the Savoy-Carignano dynasty. In the 19th century Savoy king Charles Albert renovated and embellished the castle, which became one of his favourite residences. In 1909 it hosted a political meeting between Italian king Victor Emmanuel III and Russian czar Nicolas II.
What to see
- The Royal Castle of Racconigi;
- parish church of San Giovanni;
- The baroque temples of San Domenico and Santa Maria Maggiore;
- The baroque Tenuta Berroni;
- The Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie.