Viola, Province of Cuneo, Piedmont, Italy
A small centre along the border with Liguria, 68km east of Cuneo and 107 km south of Turin, it rises at a remarkable altitude in a valley covered by olive trees, with olive oil production registered in the area since time immemorial.
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 827 m a.s.l
- Population: about 500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 12070
- Phone Area Code: 0174
- Patron Saint: St. Giorgio, celebrated on 23 April
- Frazioni & Località: Castello, San Giorgio, Saint Gréé, Coniglione
- GPS Coordinates: 44°17' N 7°58' E
- Official website of the Comune of Viola.
The origin of the name is not certain, and there are two main theories, the former derived from the diminutive of Latin "via" and meaning "small road", the latter ethimology connected to Vehola, a latin name found on a tombstone and meaning "oil road". As a matter of fact, it was a trade centre of olive oil, which through the Mindino mountain pass was carried to the Ligurian coast and then distributed throughout the Roman empire.
What to see
- The Sanctuary of Madonna della Neve
- The Chapel of San Giovanni
- The San Giovanni Grotto
- The Rocca dei corvi or Sfinge, a natural rocky tower 90 metres high, ending at top with a Sphynx-like head.