Isola del Giglio, Province of Grosseto, Tuscany, Italy
In 805 it was donated by Charlemagne to the abbey of the Tre Fontane in Rome, and was later a possession of Aldobrandeschi, Pannocchieschi, Caetani, Orsini families and the commune of Perugia. From 1264 Giglio was a Pisane dominion, from which it passed to the Medici. Alongside its history the island was always renowned for his minerary resources, such as the Gigliese granite.
What to see
- The Roman villa of Domitius Aenobarbus (1st century AD), in the area of Giglio Porto.
- The church of San Pietro Apostolo in Giglio Castello has an ivory crucifix attributed to Giambologna